Moroccan Lamb Stew
Joanne Dunham, Founder
¾ tsp salt
½ ysp ground black pepper
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground allspice
2 lbs lamb stew meat
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cups chopped onions
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 ½ tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced
2 large oranges (blood oranges preferred)
1 15oz can chickpeas, rinsed
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp honey
- Mix salt, pepper, cinnamon and allspice in medium bowl. Add lamb and toss to coat with spice mixture. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, add lamb to pot and sauté until brown on all sides, (about 4 minutes per batch).
- Return lamb to pot. Add onion, garlic and ginger to pot and sauté 5 minutes. Add 1 ⅓ cups water and bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until lamb is almost tender, stirring occasionally (about 1 hour 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile, grate peel from oranges and reserve. Cut all remaining peel and white pith from oranges and discard. Coarsely chop oranges. Add oranges, grated peel and chickpeas to lamb.
- Cover and simmer until lamb is very tender (about 20 minutes longer). Stir in parsley and honey and serve with rice or couscous.
Pairs with our Red Bends & Family Recipes 3-Pack