DUNHAM CELLARS WINE CLUB - February 2014
CORNMEAL QUICK BREAD WITH LEMON AND THYME
-Joanne Dunham, Owner
• 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
• 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 1 Tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
• 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 3 large eggs
• 1 Tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh thyme leaves, plus sprig for garnish
• 1 cup fine yellow cornmeal
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
• 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted, half coarsely chopped and half whole
Five Hour Stew
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 9-by-5 inch loaf pan. Dust with flour, and tap out excess; set aside. Put butter and sugar into a large bowl. With an electric mixer, mix on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
Add lemon zest; mix 1 minute. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in lemon juice and thyme. Add flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt, and mix until just combined. Stir in chopped pine nuts.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with whole pine nuts. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 50 to 55 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Garnish with thyme. Bread can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.