DUNHAM CELLARS WINE CLUB - FEBRUARY 2016
FRENCH TOMATO TART
• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• ½ cup butter or margarine
• 1 large egg
• 4 firm-ripe tomatoes, rinsed and cored
• 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
• 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
• 3 Tablespoons olive oil
• 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
• 3 Tablespoons chopped shallots
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
• 2 teaspoons fresh marjoram, chopped
• 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
• 6 to 8 anchovy fillets
• 6 to 8 Kalamata olives, pitted and quartered
• Salt and pepper
Marinated Shrimp on Rosemary Branches
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a food processor or bowl, combine flour and butter. Mix until firm crumbs form. Add egg and stir until dough holds together. Pat dough into a ball and press evenly over the bottom and sides of a 10” tart pan with removable bottom. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
While the crust is baking, cut tomatoes in half and gently squeeze out seeds. Cut crosswise into 1” thick slices and lay on paper towel to drain. Save ends. Remove baked crust from the oven and turn the oven up to 400 degrees. Spread mustard over the bottom of the crust and sprinkle evenly with 1 ½ cups of the Swiss cheese. Cover with tomato slices, cutting slices to fill in gaps. In a small bowl, mix oil, tomato paste, shallots, garlic, thyme, marjoram and oregano. Spread over tomatoes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Arrange anchovies and olives on
tomatoes. Salt and pepper to taste.
Bake until cheese is lightly brown, about 25 minutes. Remove pan rim. Cut into wedges and serve hot or warm.